2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
2 sticks unsalted butter PLUS 1 tablespoon, at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
1 bag butterscotch chips
1 big handful pine nuts
1 tablespoon French grey sea salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and table salt. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, with an electric beater, cream together the butter, sugars and vanilla. If too stiff (you want the consistency of butter cream frosting!), place bowl in microwave (well, I hope to hell you didn’t use a metal bowl!) for 20 seconds. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating for 20 seconds after each egg.
3. Beat in flour, in three additions. Stir in butterscotch chips.
4. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a small skillet – add pine nuts and toast until fragrant and lightly brown. Remove from heat and stir in the sea salt and pepper. Let cool for a few minutes, and then stir nuts into cookie dough.
5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place scant tablespoonfuls of dough onto paper, spacing about 1 inch apart….cookies will spread. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool on sheets for 3-4 minutes, then continue cooling cookies on racks until completely cool.