March 18, 2008

Proust in a Potato Chip




Wow. I think my genetic code is revolting against my secret ambition to be a fabulous cook. Finally, the cans of cream of mushroom soup, jars of Miracle Whip, and corn dogs are rising up in a revolution of remembrance of things past. MKF Fisher, I am sadly…not. I might as well go be a chef for Britney Spears.

While I have in my background some amazing attempts, yea, verily, some astounding successes in culinary creativity…I am, in the end, a Hostess Ding Dong.




Witness my latest descent into backwater swill! The Potato Chip Crab Cake!



Oh, mightily did I resist! Come hither, oh great book of Julia Child! Deliver me from the cultural bane of banality! I call on the benevolence of Bourdain! With frantic fingers searching Epicurious, I search for crab cake epiphany! Smote my childhood memories with the mighty silicone spatula and banish my lazy butt into Sandra Lee purgatory! But I could not resist. I am weak. I have cans of crab. Bags of potato chips.


I am hungry.


And “Everybody Loves Raymond” is on in 10 minutes. (the one where Marie makes a sculpture that looks like it needs underpants).


Purgatory Potato Chip Crab Cakes

Makes 6 absolutely delicious patties of perfect crunchy, salty, remembrance of your Mom

2 ½ cups of potato chips (before crushing) – at least get a GOOD brand, for God’s sake!
1 pound lump crabmeat, drained, picked at to remove bits of shell
½ cup tartar sauce
1 ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper to tastes
About 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 slices
Lemon wedges, for serving

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Crush the potato chips in a medium sized bowl. Add the crabmeat, tartar sauce, mustard, and black pepper. Mix well. Form into 6 hamburger type patties. Top each with a pat of butter.
3. Place on foil lined baking sheet. Broil until browned. Serve with lemon wedges.

*I did redeem myself very slightly by serving (serving…that’s funny…like this was on actual plates, using actual manners!) with homemade mayonnaise. Really, there’s just no excuse for NOT making your own…even for a hillbilly like me!




Behold the Potato Chip of Total Nature! Redemption is mine!!!!

15 comments:

Heather said...

Oh holy shit that looks good. Are you kidding me? Potato chips in a crab cake? That is a stroke of genius (and way cooler than using crackers).

Peter M said...

Catherine = Evil = these fab crab cakes.

I will try potato chips the next time I make crab cakes.

Evily yours,

Peter

Deborah said...

I think these actually sound amazing!!!

RecipeGirl said...

Sounds pretty good to me!!

Jenny said...

Oh my Catherine!
Talk about a little cake of heaven. Next time I have crab meat, I will be making these tasty sounding little cakes! Mmmmm!

Emily said...

You are a genius! These sound delicious. We need to come up with more food items that we can incorporate potato chips into.

Catherine Wilkinson said...

heather,
next time, FLAVORED potatoe chips, eh?

peter,
I am Evil. I wasn't completely sold on the tartar sauce, maybe you could figure out something different.

deborah,
they were tasty and salty and crunchy...so, yes, I guess bags of stuff can actually work sometimes!

recipegirl,
thank you...I'm thinking using them instead of panko next time with chicken!

jenny,
well, you might even get the boys to like crab! my kids thought crabs were bugs, which technically they are, but still....

Catherine Wilkinson said...

oops, emiline!
oh yes...how about a potato chip cheesecake!? Sweet, salty...what could go wrong???

Cakespy said...

Oh and what beautiful redemption it is. These are evil and lovely and amazing. I am not worthy!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Hear no eveil..see no evil...taste no evil:D

Thistlemoon said...

Those look awesome! I am so using potato chippies next time!

Catherine Wilkinson said...

cakespy,
oh you silly! you are SO worthy! I bow down to your bakeness!

val,
I am kinda like those three monkeys, aren't I?

jenn,
there's probably nothing that can't use a bit of potato chip!
I mean, they're all over my keyboard!

Tracy said...

Crab meat and potato chips ... what's not to like? Looks yummy to me.

Sue said...

I LOVE potato chips. I don't think it's garbage-y at all to cook with them. My rule (I just made it up while I was typing this) is that if it's something made easily at home - pancake batter, for example - then you don't need a commercial product for it. However potato chips are definitely not made EASILY and what's better than a crunchy, salty (slightly greasy) potato chip? They're always PC in my book.
PS Try them on top of your next macaroni and cheese. YUM!
PPS Miracle Whip can be strangely addicting...

Anonymous said...

Ahaha.. this is hilarious!
I'm all for crabcakes with potato chips. When all components of a recipe are equally appealing, then nothing can go wrong right? Okay, you could still set the house on fire but that's a different story. Nice job.

 
Creative Commons License
"The Dish" by Catherine Wilkinson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.