January 15, 2008

Crock-Pot Carne Adovada...Stuff


I recently was lucky enough to have won the "What's For Dinner?" category of the Williams Great American Chili Contest. What a surprise and a thrill...a surprise, because this recipe is SO VERY EASY (a blind monkey could do this) and a thrill, well, because I'm a very excitable kinda nut! My Mom made a version of this for years, and it was a favorite of mine growing up. My Mom loved her crock-pot and while I don't use it as much as she did, I definitely put mine to good and easy use. I especially like the new crock-pot liners - they REALLY make clean-up super fast. You can throw this together early in the afternoon (seriously, one reason I don't use my crock-pot as much as I'd like to, is some recipes call for much longer cooking times, which puts start time early in the morning - come on, I can barely get my slippers on and the Cheerios in my bowl!) and the wonderful spicy aroma is filling the kitchen by dinnertime. Enjoy! (I found the seasoning at Wal-Mart...and, yeah, I shop at Wal-mart often...the prices CANNOT be beat! )



2 pounds lean ground beef, browned and drained

1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes

1/3 cup chopped onion

1 can (4.5 ounces) chopped green chilies

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 package Williams Tradiciones Carne Adovada Seasoning

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

12 corn tortillas

2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Sour cream, chopped cilantro and/or salsa, for topping, optional


Mix together browned ground beef, tomatoes, onion, green chilies, garlic, Williams Tradiciones Carne Adovada Seasoning, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Place ½ cup meat mixture in a 4-quart slow cooker, then spread to cover bottom of cooker. Place 1 whole tortilla over meat then top with ¼ cup cheese. Repeat layers using 8 tortillas. (Reserve 3 tortillas and some meat and cheese for top layer.)Tear remaining 3 tortillas in half and tuck along the sides of the slow cooker. Cover top with remaining meat and cheese, being sure to completely cover all tortillas. Cover and cook on low setting 4 to 6 hours or high setting 3 hours or until completely hot through. Garnish top with sour cream, cilantro, and salsa as desired. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I can attest that this recipe is tasty. Not EXACTLY like mom made but close enough. Can't wait to try the cookies, definately on a day I want the old man to mow the lawn.

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Hey, aren't you the brat who never helped clean up? And your poor, poor husband...! Give him a break, why don't you?

xox
The Big Sis

Emily said...

Congratulations on your win! You sound like you know chili.

*shhh* I shop at Wal--Mart, too. Don't tell anyone.

Hey, I liked the sand art thing.

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Emiline,
I'm conflicted about Wal-Mart! The prices are great, but the...atmosphere...sometimes depresses me...
And that was really cool sand art, wasn't it? I've never seen anything like that!

Jenny said...

How cool girl! I love the sound of that chili. I am soooo about the easy recipes these days. I'll just have to try it out! Congrats on the win girl! Keep racking em' up!

Anonymous said...

Which Wal-Mart? The northside or the eastside one?

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Anony
Actually, neither one in Prescott! I found it in a Chandler Wal-Mart...I am down there all the time. I've seen the Williams Chili Seasoning in the one up by the mall, so maybe there! Although, if you have trouble locating it, you can order it thru their website or just use a packet of your favorite taco seasoning. Good luck!

 
Creative Commons License
"The Dish" by Catherine Wilkinson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.